Peter Denis Sutherland is Chairman of Goldman Sachs International (1995 – current). He is Chairman of the London School of Economics and is currently UN Special Representative for Migration and Development. He also serves on the Board of Directors of Allianz, Koc Holding A.S. and BW Group Limited and is a member of the Advisory Board of Eli Lilly.
Of Irish nationality, Mr Sutherland has previously served as:
• Attorney General of Ireland (1981-1984)
• EC Commissioner responsible for Competition Policy (1985-1989)
• Chairman of Allied Irish Banks (1989-1993)
• Director General of The World Trade Organisation, formerly GATT (1993-1995)
• Chairman of BP p.l.c. (1997 – 2009)
• Vice-Chairman of the European Round Table of Industrialists (1997-2009)
• Trilateral Commission (Europe) Chairman (2001-2010)
• World Economic Forum Foundation Board Member (1995-2013)
Mr. Sutherland is Knight Commander of the Order of St. Michael and St. George (KCMG) and a Papal Knight. He has been decorated by seven other countries and received fifteen honorary doctorates from universities in Europe and America. Born in 1946, Mr. Sutherland is married and has three children. His leisure interests include reading and sport.